Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Oops!

I started knitting the sleeves on Forecast. For the sleeves I switched from my size 8 Denise needles to size 8 double pointed needles. After knitting a couple of rounds I noticed my gauge was really off. (You can see it in the picture below) Why was my knitting so different? Was it because I changed needles? Oh well, I thought. I guess I need to get some bigger double pointed needles, maybe size 9. Off to my local knit shop I went.
At the knit shop, the owner pointed out to me that I had reverse stockinette going on in the sleeve (see pic below) and that is why my gauge was so off. (The sweater is suppose to have the garter stitch bumps on both the inside and outside) When you convert a flat pattern to knitting in the round you are suppose to change the wrong side stitches from knits to purls and also the purls to knits. It even reminds you to do this in the Forecast pattern if you switch to knitting with double pointed needles! I had only followed this advice for the 9 stitches making up the cable section. Oh well...
Back at home I frogged and started again on the sleeves. I didn't need to change needle sizes. I'm still using size 8 needles and reading the directions more carefully. The picture above shows the color of the yarn the best (less glare).

Here is the sleeve knitting up nicely now.

A front view of the sweater with the lower body and border completed.

2 comments:

Khalila said...

I can't believe how fast you made that! The sleeves should take you hardly any time at all. I hate it when I don't read something in the instructions right and it messes me up. That's what I'm worried about with the Sahara sweater I just cast-on for. I'm going so slow on it because I'm only working on it when my kids aren't around so I can concentrate. It's going to take me 3 months but hopefully it'll be gorgeous when I'm done.

Anonymous said...

Hi Abby - I am your SP9 Angel. Our host sent an email while I was out of town. I will be in San Francisco this week - I'll do some shopping for you between meetings!! Sorry you needed an Angel, but glad to do it.