Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Shrug off the Needles

This afternoon I finished the Pimlico Shrug. I'm sort of happy with it. The yarn I used is Artyarns Supermerino in color 248, a dark chocolate brown. Needles were size 7 for body of shrug and size 6 for the rib edging. Usually I don't wear sweaters this dark. Also the sweater is a little long. I'm on the short side, about 5 feet tall, and if I were to make this sweater again I might make the body section a couple inches shorter than the 34" call for in the pattern.



A back view....
Now on the needles is another ruffle scarf (picture below). It is a holiday gift for my sister-in-law. Last year I made my mother-in-law and sister-in-law "Elegant Gauntlets" from the The Purl Stitch book by Sally Melville. I used Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock yarn for them. They came out really lovely I thought (I never took a picture of them), but I don't think my in-laws really appreciated gift. (I don't think they ever wore them either) They always seam so "surprised" that I knit. So this year it will just be simple ruffle scarves for them. (I've had a cold/sore throat for the last few days and I'm kind of grumpy)
I was going to make farmers market mesh bags as holiday presents, but the pattern wasn't clicking with me. Now the bag is just for me. I work on it when I take my kids to the park to play or maybe knitting group when I don't want to concentrate too hard on a pattern. So the bag is coming along slowly. I'm using Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn in bright variegated colors that I like.

2 comments:

chauntel said...

The shrug looks wonderful!
I started that bag over the weekend and you are so right, it's a slow knit. I really thought it would go quickly, boy was I wrong!

tellen said...

I do hope you bring the shrug to knitting tonight... :) I think it looks wonderful! I agree with the length though. I didn't expect it to be that long. Nice Job!