Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Swallowtail Shawl #2 Finished!


Last night I finished knitting my second Swallowtail Shawl and then this morning I blocked it. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I will be wearing it to my sister-in-law's wedding at the end of the month. I did make changes to the original pattern because I wanted a larger shawl. For the "Budding Lace 2" section I knitted 19 repeats of the chart instead of 14. This worked out perfectly in increasing the size. Here are the details:

Pattern: by Evelyn Clark in Interweave Knits, Fall 2006
Yarn: Regia Silk in Burgundy (55% Merino, 20% Silk, 25% Polymid) 220 yards; 3 skeins and 1/4 of a fourth skein
Needles: Denise Interchangeable, US size 6
Finished size after blocking: 39" depth, 79" width

7 comments:

Kathy said...

That is one fabulous shawl! You did a fantastic job.

Lisa L said...

All I can say is WOW!!! The magic of blocking lace is really wonderful!

raili said...

I like yours shawl.
Would you send me pattern, please.
I live in Estonia and my aunt
knit shawls like this.
railikaubi(at)hot.ee

Abby said...

Raili, I can't just send you a copy of the Swallowtail pattern because of copyrights. You can find many free lace knitting shawl patterns on the web. A free one you might like is called Kiri. I've been thinking about knitting that one up sometime soon.

Stephanie said...

Oh that came out beautifully!
I was thinking I might want to do the same (enlarge the pattern) but I wasnt sure if the pattern repeats would be so accomodating.

Kiri is a beautiful shawl, and also a quick to knit project :) and it too can be adusted by adjusting the number of repeats before starting in on the edging.

trish said...

What a beautiful shawl. I love triangle shawls. They are so cosy. And what a lovely design. You should be very proud. Wonderful job.

chauntel said...

That is beautiful! You never show off your finished knits at knit group! You really should you know. You could quietly hand them to one of us & then we can gush all over how beautiful they are! Without embarassing you and ourselves too much.