Friday, November 03, 2006

Knitting Shops & Mom with Babies

The photo above is an update on Clapotis. Below along with my son's feet and mine is Swallowtail Shawl #2. All that I have left on that shawl is the Lily of the Valley Border 2 and the Peaked Edging which counts out to almost 30 rows remaining to knit.
In Santa Barbara there is a new knitting shop called Knit and Purl. In the back of the store, the owner has a corner full of toys and stuff just for kids. My daughter and son really love it and they make a big mess that I always clean up when I am done shopping. They spill boxes of crayons everywhere, blocks, etc... Of course I feel always feel obligated to buy something because my kids make such a mess.

North of Santa Barbara about 35 minute drive, there is a little shop that I also like. They have some handpainted sock yarn and alpaca that is really lovely. One time I was in there without my kids, I overheard the owner talking about women with babies who come in to shop. She went on to say that when the baby starts to cry or fuss should really make time for themselves without their baby to do their shopping. All I could think of was that I can't easily just go shopping at a knitting store without my kids. My husband is at work during the week and usually when I want to go to a knitting shop he isn't around to watch the kids anyway.
Well... Yesterday on Thursday morning at around 10:30 to 11:00, I went to this shop again but with my kids to buy some yarn. My kids were both sitting in the stroller eating rolls I had just bought at a nearby bakery. I was the only customer in the little shop. My kids were constantly talking to me as I shopped. My son did make a crumbs on the ground that I kept picking up. I definitely noticed a difference in this shopping experience with my kids. The owner was not as friendly or chatty with me. I did spend money on yarn. But I kept having a feeling they would have asked me to leave if I hadn't been their only customer that morning. Also I feel if they were more friendly towards moms with toddlers and babies, their shop wouldn't be empty of customers. I'm not asking for toys for my kids to play with but only friendliness. I won't be back to that shop until sometime next year with or without my kids, I don't know...

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow! You may have caught this lady on a bad day --- this doesn't make it okay (or smart as a retailer) to be unfriendly.

I was just having a conversation the other day about how snooty some yarn shops are.

I'm a friendly & outgoing lady but sometimes the people working in yarn shops are so cold and stand-off-ish.

It boggles my mind, how can the online knitting community be so encouraging and open when the brick & mortar knitters make you feel like you're crashing a party?

Wen said...

Don't go back. There are plenty of places online that would be happy for your business. Or places like that other shop that cater to moms with kids. The not so nice lady may have nice handpaint yarns, but I guarntee you that you can find in online, and probably cheaper...

There are shops here in LA that I won't go to again as there were snotty or downright mean (One lady yelled at me for having yarn from another shop in my bag-after I'd spent over $100 in HER shop).

Jen said...

I know what you mean. My son is really well behaved in stores and just walks around and doesn't touch anything. I took him to this one store and they were across the street from railroad tracks and he wanted to stand by the window and wait for a train. You would think that the owner would have been quite happy to have him just standing there not doing anything to disrupt anyone or touch any yarn. So I just moved a couple of bags that were sitting by a window so he could stand there and she freaked out because I was moving stuff. It was just 2 knitting bags that were sitting on the floor where he was going to stand and I moved them 1 foot to the left. I don't shop there anymore..

cecily said...

what yarn are you using for your clapotis? i'm thinking about using lorna's laces shepherd sock and am trying to figure out how much i should buy.

that swallowtail is GORGEOUS!

Abby said...

Cecily, I'm using a sock yarn called "Hot Foot" which is about 540 yds and size 8 needles. Also I did 2 less increases sections to deal with my smaller amount of yarn. As for Lornas Laces Shepherd Sock, I saw online a clapotis that was knitted with 3 & 1/4 skeins of Shepherd Sock.